Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Just a little kick

Church has been something I have been around my whole life. Ever since I can remember, I have been attending Sunday school, confirmation classes, and Sunday service on the right side of the church, sixth pew from the front. Whether I wanted to or not, my family and I have attended church almost every Sunday no matter how much complaining or eye rolling I did. Once I got there, however, I always felt better and glad that I went. Don’t tell my mom about that. Being in a church has always calmed me down and made me feel supported. This feeling of support was the reason I chose my confirmation verse; Matthew 19:26 which reads “Jesus looked at them and said… with God all things are possible.”

Being in college I realized that I completely had the choice of whether or not I wanted to go to church on Sunday. I had decided to try out different churches near campus with my friends Abby, Kam, and Chris. Going there gave me that feeling of home that isn’t always with you when you’re in a new place. The familiar hymns reminded me of previous churches I had been a part of and made me decide that this was the church I was going to go to for the rest of my time here at South Dakota State University.
While my personal support group includes my faith, it doesn’t mean that everyone has to have or feel supported by a faith. My own support group also includes my family, friends, teachers and my girlfriend. Whether they know it or not, all of them have helped me get where I am today. Whether it be listening to me rant about things that are bugging me or listening to me talk a million miles an hour about meat science or meat judging when they may not know anything about what I am saying, it all helps. Even if it was my friend who had no idea that I wanted to get a higher score than them on the next science test, they unknowingly pushed me to do better and ultimately accomplish my goal.
Having a strong support group is important if you want to accomplish the goals you have set for yourself. Perseverance will get you far, but sometimes you need that extra kick in the pants to accomplish things that you just can’t give yourself. That is why a support group is essential. Your support group doesn’t have to be gigantic. It can be as big or small as you want it to be. If you have a support group, continue to use it and be very thankful for where it will get you. If you don’t feel like you have a support group you may want to see what it can do for you. Just asking someone you trust to help keep you on track or check up on you will help you out a lot. If you don't believe, try it out for yourself. You might just be surprised where you go.

Sincerely,








Clay Newton

Stationed by the emblem of Washington






No comments:

Post a Comment