Wednesday, October 12, 2016

What Will You Choose?

Here at South Dakota State University, the entire freshman class is required to read a book of the university’s choosing. Along with the required reading, they put on what are called common read events. I decided or was rather convinced, by my friends to go to the event with them. They said it was a movie instead of a speaker so that helped persuade me to go until I sat down and saw the title of the movie, “Happy.” Based on the title, I wasn’t thinking very highly of the movie. However, after sitting through it, I was really glad I went. It had strong statistics I could believe, but more importantly, it had personal accounts from individuals who were very happy themselves. One stood out to me. It was the story of a man who was volunteering at Mother Teresa's Home for the Dying Destitute. He told of how he went from being a very successful businessman making a lot of money to where he is today. When most people are asked what will make them happy, they will usually respond with money. However, this man told how helping those in need made him happier than money ever could.

            While watching this movie, I had a flashback to my experience at the Washington Leadership Conference, or WLC, held in Washington, DC. This conference is based solely on how we as individuals can better serve our community. If you are even considering going, GO! This was literally one of the best weeks of my life. My group leader and the friends I made there gave me the confidence to say I was going to run for FFA State Office and play a role in who I am today. That conference does amazing things for everyone who attends. There I go rambling again, but what I was trying to say is one of my favorite experiences at that conference was actually the service project all of us attending performed. In under and hour, about 400 individuals attending the conference packed 63,288 meals for people living in the Washington D.C. area. We all helped pack a lot of meals in very little time, but it didn’t feel like work. It was actually a lot of fun because I had great people to talk to while working.
            I believe the reason more people aren’t happy is the reason more of us don’t do service projects because it is too hard. I know, it’s a crazy thing to say but happiness is actually primarily a choice. There is a great quote by Charles R. Swindoll, “I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.” Happiness is a choice we as individuals make every morning. It is as simple as a change in the way we think. We can think of all the things we have to do… or we can think of all the things we can do.  Today I chose to be happy about the things I get to do and will share that happiness by serving others. What will you choose?

Sincerely,
Clay Newton







Stationed by the Emblem of Washington

No comments:

Post a Comment