Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Snowstorm Stuck

I packed up my last few belongings into my duffle and completed my mental checklist. White shirt? Check. Black skirt? Check. Heels? Check. Khakis? Check. With my head full of checks, I zipped up my bag, swinging it over my shoulder, finally heading out of my dorm room. As soon as I walked outside, the frigid air and snowflakes hit my face, making me cringe with uncertainty. However, there was no time to waste and I had a full drive to the cities from Crookston to attend the AgriGrowth Conference. A few hours pass, and the snow became worse and worse. Visibility was horrible and the wind shook my already small car. With a whole lot of prayer and encouraging words over the phone, I finally it made off an exit and into Fergus Falls.
Emma and Cole AKA my support system
I sat in the Walgreen’s parking lot, panicking and calling everyone and anyone who could help me. Finally, I decided I was stuck. Completely and utterly stuck. After thirty minutes of panicked calls, disaster planning, and hotel searching, I finally made my way to a local Super 8. I hauled my stuff inside and plopped down on the bed, thoughts and questions running through my head.

How could this have possibly happened?
Why, tonight of all nights?
I have an agenda! I don’t have time for this!
What am I going to do?

Tragedy struck the world on September 11, 2001 when planes hit the World Trade Center and over 3,000 people died. When all aircraft was ordered to land despite the United States closing all airspace, the small town of Newfoundland, Canada opened it’s doors for all aircraft to come into Gander International Airport. This town didn’t see any potential threat of terrorism; they saw a chance to help others get unstuck.

Sometimes, we can’t help but get stuck. We don’t necessarily try to, but we get stuck in homework and school, responsibilities, sports, CDE’s and sometimes even our friends. When we get stuck, we usually panic, stress or even shut down, which can make it even harder for us to continue. This is the point where we need to stop. Stop and recognize that we’re stuck. Once we recognize we’re stuck, we can assess the situation and begin to understand why we’re stuck, and finally be able to ask for help.  We have an array of supporters around us that continue to get us ‘unstuck,’ and we can even be one of those supporters for others.

Next time someone seems stuck and begins to doubt themselves, let’s be the support they need to get unstuck. Next time we get stuck, stop, recognize, assess, and ask.

What has you stuck recently?
How have your supporters helped you get ‘unstuck?’
How can YOU help others get ‘unstuck?’


Sometimes it just takes a moment of us stopping and asking for help, even if it’s not the easiest thing to do. My agenda may not have had a neat check next to every item, but the next morning I got unstuck and safely finished my trip to attend the AgriGrowth Conference, thankful for those who supported me.

Stationed by the flag,
Eleora


No comments:

Post a Comment