Sunday, November 25, 2018

Gratitude in Each Day

We have all experienced a time when we receive a gift, whether it’s a holiday, our birthday, or another occasion. Our family gathered around and watching as you unwrap the final gift. From the other side of the room we hear, “What do you say?”
With an automatic response, we say, “Thank You.”
Whether it’s a gift, an act of kindness, or a compliment, we always respond with “Thank you.” Well, of course, it’s the right thing to do. The problem, though, is that we are so used to saying it. The response is so automatic that often times we do not realize how grateful we really are.
As the holiday season is in full swing, it is easy to catch ourselves doing this. Even so, let’s remember to show our gratitude for each and every moment and focus on what really matters this season.  


This semester, I have been reminded several times how precious life is. Yes, I am thankful for faith, family, and agriculture. But taking a closer look, I am thankful for all the in-between moments. Often times these are overlooked. We take the little moments for granted as it is so easy to pass over them and move onto the next thing in this fast-paced world.
As my niece sits on my lap each Sunday at church, I am thankful for the faith we share and the time we can spend together. As I look out the window to our barn, I am thankful for the passion of agriculture that was instilled in me through my family. I am thankful for the people of the livestock community who are always there to lend a helping hand by holding a tent over a show-ready animal as it heads to the ring in the pouring rain. I am thankful for my cousins and our annual game of big base kickball. I am thankful for the moments spent with friends at school when we can just share stories and laugh. I am thankful for all the little moments that add up to form the greater things.

Living a life of gratitude is much different than simply exchanging words of gratitude. Moving forward, I challenge each and every one of us to really think about what we are blessed with as we exchange the words “Thank You.” Instead of just saying the words to be polite, focus in on what really matters. We are blessed countless times each day, but without taking the time to show our appreciation, it all passes by. Let’s take time for gratitude as it will bring us greater joy and help us shine light into the lives of those around us.
How will we take time to give thanks each day? How can we ensure that the words “Thank You” have a deeper meaning?
Stationed by the Ear of Corn,
Laura Church

No comments:

Post a Comment