Sunday, April 7, 2019

Dear Past or Present FFA Member, 

A few weeks ago was spring break for the University of Minnesota. While many college students were packing up and heading South for somewhere warmer and with beaches, I decided to be a little different. I hopped on a plane bound for Seattle, Washington. Grace and I had been invited to the Oregon FFA State Convention, and I had decided to spend a few days relaxing in Seattle before making the short trip down to Redmond, Oregon for their convention.
            While I was in Seattle, my plan was to simply relax, read some books, watch TV, and wander around the city. I was there by myself, ready for a break from the busy schedule of a student. My first day in the city, that plan was going beautifully. I had brunch at a diner and wandered next door to find a book shop; of course, I had to take a peek inside. After wandering around for a few minutes, I found the staff recommendations (one of my favorite places to find new books). Long story short, I walked out of this store with a book on the physics of time, a memoir on class in rural America, another about letting ourselves fail, and finally, “Becoming” by Michelle Obama.
            Perfectly situated on almost every block in Seattle is a coffee shop. Being the birthplace of Starbucks, I expected nothing less. I made my way to the nearest one, and cracked open Becoming, with the other books piled in front of me. After about half an hour, and a full cup of coffee, I was a little way into Becoming, and I got up to stretch.
Two women came out of the coffee shop door to the patio I was seated on, sat down at the table next to me in the warm sunlight, and noticed the collection of books I had just gotten. They asked how old I was, why I was in Seattle, and why I was interested in so many different topics. This conversation soon turned into a discussion about the issues present in the world around us, along with all the amazing people trying to address them. Ending the discussion, the two women remarked how on top of my stuff I was, and how they were impressed I had such a clear view the world and had the drive to find solutions to what I see. I, of course, couldn’t let them think I was an anomaly. “I am actually a member of the FFA,” I said, “It is a student organization centered around youth leadership and agriculture.”
            It felt good to represent our organization even when I was on vacation. Something I’ve learned through my time wearing the blue jacket is that our knowledge, skills, and qualities are recognizable whether or not we are wearing the jacket or any FFA apparel. I am a book worm in or outside of FFA, but the topics I am interested in and would devote my free time in Seattle to learning more about, are thanks to the qualities I’ve developed through FFA.
            When we leave this organization, when we take off the jacket for the final time, we carry the qualities we’ve built with us afterwards. The way we speak, the skills we’ve gained, the problems we hope to solve, the work ethic we have, all stay with us for people to recognize through our entire life. As I am about to take off this jacket for the final time, it is comforting for me to know that no matter what, this organization left an impact on me, and I can continue to be an ambassador for the impact it can have no matter where I am in life. How has FFA impacted you? What do you take with you when you take your jacket off?
            We are all able to be a part of FFA for a few years as active members, then, once we have gone to camps, competed in events, made lasting friendships, and met future employers, we must take off the jacket. However, those events and competitions give us skills to use after, those friendships continue to build once we’re out of high school, and those future employers become present employers after our time in the jacket. FFA is really the catalyst which lets us build ourselves up and come prepared into the world with skills, relationships, and knowledge. Whether we are going to a four-year college, into the military, to a two-year school, into an apprenticeship, or straight into the workforce, we can continue to use the skills, relationships, and knowledge we gained in FFA, every day. 

Stationed by the Plow, 
Kegan Zimmermann

No comments:

Post a Comment