Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Are You Aware of Your Surroundings?


A couple weeks ago I was scrolling through Facebook when a photo caught my attention. It was a photo of a guy that was in my class up until 10th grade. The photo was attached to a link with a police report. I opened the link and read the words that reported his crime. My heart began to sink the more I read. I thought to myself, “How can someone my age cause so much trouble with the law that a majority of his or her life is spent in jail?” I flashed back to the times I sat near him in a classroom or walked by him in the hallway.  Sure, I knew he was in my class but how many times did I hold a conversation with him? I could barely count the number of times on one hand.

            Last year at State Greenhand Leadership Conference I had the opportunity to make a connection with a member after reflections. It was a simple conversation but something that meant a lot to this member and me. Following SGLC, I followed up by maintaining various conversations with them and saw this member at a variety of events, including state fair, National FFA Convention and MN FFA State Convention.

            What is the difference between my relations with these two people? I maintained a friendship with the FFA member and not so much with my classmate. I was aware of my surroundings and the people that were involved at that FFA event compared to people in my own class.  I was aware of who I was with and what was going on.

            “What if…” questions began to flood my head about my classmate. “What if I would have helped him study for that biology test?”… "What if I would have been more involved in conversation him?” … “Could I have changed his life, just a little bit?” 
          Surely, I cannot go back to 9th grade, but I can learn from the situation. I ask you to help me with this. We can become proactive about these situations and become aware of who we are encountering in our surroundings. Take the time to get to know others around you and show that you care about them. Maybe it's a kid in your class, a member in your 4-H Club, a chapter officer, or a friend that has been feeling a little bit down. Showing that you care is step #1. Be that person to make Step #1 happen. 


             Now ask yourself: What will it take for me to show appreciation to those I am around and help those that need me most?

Stationed by the Flag,




No comments:

Post a Comment