Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Oh! The Places You Will Go!

Climb in an airplane. Fly 16 hours. Land in another country. Repeat. Although that was basically the process, it was much more than that the past 2 weeks in South Africa.

If you had told me 7, or even 2 years ago, that I would go to South Africa, I would have laughed. There would be only a little piece of me that believed in the crazy idea. I am happy to say that I did go to South Africa and less than a week ago I was standing on the top of one of the Natural Wonders of the World reflecting on my adventures that I have had through FFA.

Region leadership events, school Ag Olympics, National Convention; adventures have been spread throughout my time spent with FFA and continue to build. As a freshman in high school, I often fell behind the shadow of my two older sisters only wanting to do what Sara and Jill did. Through encouragement of my advisor and 4-H and FFA friends, I began to explore other options in FFA, specifically leadership activities. Having the privilege to serve as a chapter, region, and now a state officer, I can ensure you, my friend, that adventures are bound to happen. What adventures will you uncover?

“You have BRAINS in your HEAD. You have FEET in your SHOES. You can STEER yourself in any DIRECTION you CHOOSE.” –Dr. Seuss

The common Dr. Seuss quote describes my philosophy on adventures. YOU have it in you to take on adventures… and you don’t have to sit in a plane for 16 hours to make it count. I look at Dr. Seuss’ book “Oh, the Places You’ll Go!” as inspiration. We are the ones in control of where we want to go in life. We are able to choose our own adventures.

And will you succeed? Yes! You will indeed! (98 and ¾ percent guaranteed) Kid, you’ll move mountains!
 


You’re off to great places. Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, so… get on your way!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment