Wednesday, September 16, 2015

3...2...1...Jump

Fall has always been one of my favorite seasons.

School is starting up, the weather is cooling down, and most of all- the leaves burst into the beautiful colors of autumn.  I love taking long drives and watching how the leaves paint a story in the scenery, each leaf adding something different to the picture. Then, eventually, the beautiful leaves jump from their tree’s and begin a new journey.

Growing up, I always loved jumping into a pile of leaves.  My brother and I would wait eagerly with rakes in our hands for dad to get in from milking the cows so we could all rake up the biggest pile of leaves.  Then, once we thought the pile had gotten as mighty and tall as it could get, my dad would say, “Jump in 3...2…1!” and without thinking, a few seconds later, we would find ourselves laying on the ground in a pile of leaves, laughing.  This would repeat over and over again until we were all laughed out and it was time to go in and drink delicious hot coco that my mom had prepared for us.

     As I got older, the piles of leaves began to form less and less.  I slowly became afraid to jump into the pile of leaves.  Now I know what you’re thinking, “Morgan they are just leaves… how on earth could you be afraid of them?”  Trust me, it wasn’t the leaves that scared me but what could be under the leaves that did.
    
    As a child, I jumped into a pile of leaves without taking the time to consider whether there was anything lying within that could hurt me. But now, I worry too much about what could be, instead of just jumping in.

Can you see me? Yeah, me neither. 
 This fall I made one of the biggest jumps of my life- I jumped into college.  I packed up my life and moved to the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities.  Although this is one of the most exciting times in my life, I can’t help but be uncertain about what is to come.  However, I know that just like when I would jump into a pile of leaves, I’ll be laughing all the way through it.

You see, jumping into something new and unknown can be scary.  Whether it’s trying a new CDE, going out for different sport, or even just sitting at a different lunch table, the fear of what could be ends up holding us back.
     
   
We need to be like little kids again, jumping into opportunities that come our way.  When it feels scary to jump into something new, that’s exactly when you jump.  Otherwise we end up staying in the same place our whole lives.

  Embrace the uncertainty and get ready to jump in 3…2…1…



Stationed by the plow,



No comments:

Post a Comment