Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Regulating Our"cell"ves


Earlier this year I started college at South Dakota State University where I began taking Biology 101 and Crop Production with labs. I knew that biology might be difficult, considering science isn’t really my strong suit. However, I figured it was better to get this class done, so I didn’t put it off to the last minute. On the other hand, I have loved plants for years and knew Crop Production Lab would be the class for me!

For the first few weeks, it seemed as if these classes were going hand in hand as far as content goes. We began learning about meristems in Crop Production Lab, which I had learned about in a class in high school, so I was very confident with the concept. For those of you who are unfamiliar with meristems, they are cells that:

“Divide rapidly and are considered to be indeterminate, which means that they do not possess any defined end fate.”

Places we would find meristems would be at the tip top of the plant, at the tip of roots, and in the axil of the plant (where branches would grow). Do you ever notice that plants grow a whole lot faster than we do? It’s because of those meristems! Plants need them to get really big, really fast and the growth potential is limitless!

On the other hand, while we were learning about meristems in Crop Production Lab, we were learning about cancer and tumors in biology. I thought the content seemed to be splitting, but found out that the concepts of meristems and tumors really aren’t that different. Tumors are:

a swelling of a part of the body, generally without inflammation, caused by an abnormal growth of tissue, whether benign or malignant.”

Seeing these two similarities, a question popped into my head: Why is it so desirable to see plant cells divide rapidly, but in humans, this growth can be deadly? Animal cells don’t mind what plant cells do, because their ability to function is not dependent on those other cells. However, humans are completely different. How many times in our lives do we look at other people and want something they have? Whether it be their characteristics, strengths, family life, money, possessions, or something else, we are so quick to want. Sometimes those things aren’t necessarily good for us or meant to be for us, just like the cells for plants versus animals.

I will never forget that while growing up, I wanted whatever my sister had. I remember one specific time when I was in 8th grade that my sister, as a 10th grader, was asked to be a part of the Agricultural Communications team competing at National FFA Convention. I was jealous to say the least. I remember being angry that she was asked to be a part of that team. I thought to myself: 'What did my sister have over me that she got to be a part of it and I didn’t?'

For a long time I didn’t understand why I wasn’t a part of the team. Are my skills not good enough? Am I too young? Do they think I can’t handle it? Then, when the results came for the Agricultural Communications team after they competed, we found out that Abbey received 4th place individually! In the nation! I was astounded! I couldn’t believe she could accomplish something so amazing!

As I look back and remember those jealous feelings, I see that I was looking only at what Abbey was good at and not the strengths I had that made me unique. (Also, I recently found out that online websites, flyers, and other creative media designs are not my forte.)

We need to be more like those cells that regulate themselves in different ways based on our abilities and talents instead of comparing ourselves to others. Plant and animal cells both have huge strengths that make them unique, just like Abbey and I do. Animal cells are much more flexible and a better fit for living things that move. Plant cells are rigid to keep plants rooted and perform photosynthesis to produce food for the plants.


Knowing what is good for us is a challenge, but taking time to focus on our own strengths instead of those of others is the first step that will take us to success. This week, I challenge you to take some time out of your schedule to look at the aspects of your life and focus on what YOU are good at. What can you do to find activities that will make you thrive in this New Year? How can you use your unique strengths?

Stationed by the Door,



Maddie Weninger


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the information! I am looking to travel to Cape Town. I was initially scared because of all the news reports about cape town day zero - but now that Cape Town has water again I feel ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more. Cowboys game

    ReplyDelete