Monday, October 8, 2018

Check Yes or No

Each day we make thousands of decisions that may make a small or large impact. What should I wear? What should I eat? How should I spend my free time? Who should I sit by?
Life is filled with endless opportunities, but how do we decide what is most beneficial for us? Priorities are shaped by our values. Too often in this ever-moving world, we get caught up in what is happening around us which causes us to miss the moments that life is truly about. With sports practices, fun clubs or organizations, and obligations that arise each day, we tend to get lost in what really matters. For me, I value faith, family, and agriculture. I make decisions each day around these priorities of mine, but even so, sometimes I find myself overwhelmed and stressed about the little things in between.

Each day, we have the opportunity to make it great, fill ourselves with positivity, and spread that positive light onto others. When we make decisions that affect ourselves in a positive way, we are more likely to change someone else’s outlook on life that day. We never know what someone may be going through, but because of a simple decision we might make, we could spread that hope to others. How will we choose to do that?


Sometimes, life gets crazy. We have school work, job applications, scholarship applications, and endless expectations to live up to. A simple decision to spend time with family instead of constantly focusing on the work we have on our plates may be all we need to push through the overwhelming tasks ahead. For me, I live for the moments with family where I can do what I love with who I love. That’s how I choose joy.  

This past weekend, I was able to choose family and agriculture, two of the things I value most. Traveling to Aksarben, a national livestock show in Nebraska, I was able to make memories, gain valuable experiences, and create friendships. Although it is a busy time of year with school especially, it was best for me to take a break from the hustle and bustle and take time to live out my passion.
Every time we say “yes” to something, we are shutting down something else with “no.” And each time we say “no” to something, we open up new opportunities to say “yes.” Staying true to our values is key. Let’s fill our time with what matters. With each decision, we can better ourselves and those around us.
When you check “yes” or “no”, are you considering the things in life that are important to you? How can we minimize the stress we receive each day and maximize the joy that we have the opportunity to gladly receive?

Stationed by the Ear of Corn,
Laura Church

No comments:

Post a Comment