Sunday, December 9, 2018

Asking for help

Finals week is approaching. Although I don’t have any final tests, I had several final projects due. Whether it be a final paper, lab report or a 12-page word document stacked with questions, asking for help would have made these all easier.
This semester I am taking an agronomy class called “Crops, Environment, and Society.” This class has both a lecture and a lab. In the lab portion of the class, I walk to the greenhouses across campus, grab a worksheet and get to work. This isn’t like any lab I did in high school. This was basically the students finding the plants around the classroom, taking a picture, and memorizing the plant and name. It also included memorizing the seeds and the scientific families among other things. I really struggled through the first two lab tests. I didn’t know how to study and didn’t know how to remember all of this new information. For the last lab test, I took a different approach. I talked to a friend of mine, and we sat down and go the information down. I asked a friend for help and I was able to get a nearly perfect score on the last lab test.
Sometimes we don’t ask for help in situations where help is exactly what we need. It can be because we are too proud, overconfident, uncomfortable, or don’t know how to ask for help. Sometimes that one person to keep us accountable and focused can lead to more success than we could have thought possible. As humans, we all need help. We all need someone to support and help us. Asking can be the most difficult part, but it is crucial. The next time we are struggling, let’s ask for help, and if you see someone else struggling, ask them to let you help. The world needs a little more help and kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment