Thursday, September 27, 2012

Region III Fall Leadership Day 2012


As Shawna and I cruised through the beautiful fall countryside we had a lot on our mind. Shawna and I were talking about the next day. Tomorrow was Region III Fall Leadership day. We talked about what we were hoping the members would get out of it, how excided we were about meeting members and even how cool it was to be able to facilitate a workshop all by ourselves, with the occasional "Mic stop looking at the combines I'm trying to talk to you." As soon as we pulled into the location we were presenting, we flew out of the pickup to start preparing stuff for our workshops.  We soon became busy making numerous flip charts, preparing our activities and practicing our presenting, and of course joking around with Sabrina, Marjorie and the region III team.


Now for anyone who knows me they know mornings are easily my biggest weakness. Getting me out of bed in the morning is like trying to make a campfire out of bricks, there’s no fire. However, the moment I got up I was ready for a good day. I was awake, alert, and EXCITED! I proudly zipped up my jacket, tied my shoes and headed up to start presenting. At first the members trickled in, but following that was a flood of members. I was blown away at how many Greenhands and other FFA members came to attend the event, as we started out the day we tried our hardest to do the best we could in our workshops. And soon the members not only became involved but were extremely excited to be there as well. In my "Opportunities in FFA" workshop, members tested their leadership and teamwork skills untangling the human knot, defining what it means to be a leader and seeing how well they could communicate on a team. At the end of the day I walked back to the great hall and I thought I was excited for how well the day had gone. Before I even got to the hall where all the members were I could tell that my excitement failed in comparison to how excited all the members were. Seeing the excitement in all these members was a truly rewarding experience. Hopefully someday these members will look back on that day and say that they took something important away from that day. It was amazing to see not only how involved region III FFA members are, but how excited they are as well.

Stationed by the door,

Mic Skaar

No comments:

Post a Comment